Sunday, May 7, 2017

1939-1940 Time Life - The Swing Era Part 1

For the next two weeks, I am presenting an encore presentation of Big Band Bash. This two part show originally aired in 2014. Today's program was part of a series I did on Time Life Record's ambitious project called "The Swing Era". It was a ten volume set with three records included in each volume. Today we turn to the years of 1939-1940. The songs were rerecorded by the bands of Billy May and Glen Gray. I have this set and I thought that instead of hearing the recreations that it would be interesting to hear the original recordings. So I'm borrowing the playlist and presenting the originals where I can. If I couldn't come up with the original recording then we'll hear the recreation. There are about 30 songs in this set so I'm going to break it up into two parts. I hope you enjoy the music.


1 comment:

  1. Great program Frank. But will all due respect you got the Benny Goodman track wrong on the Swing Era Part 2. It was the Big Band not the BG Sextet.

    ReplyDelete