Saturday, September 23, 2017

1941-1942 Time Life - The Swing Era Part 1

This week I going back to the past shows archive to play another program in the Time Life series. I am working on some new shows for the upcoming weeks and needed a little time to work on them. This week we highlight songs from the years of 1941 and 1942. These sets have been a listening favorite of mine since I discovered some of them at the library many years ago. The recreations were by the bands of Glenn Gray and Billy May with some of the original artists recreating their big hits. I thought it would be fun following the play order but instead of the recreations I am playing the originals if I could find it. I hope you enjoy this potpourri of songs from 1941-1942.

Here is the original cover from the vinyl set. 

Also, here is the set list from the 1941-1942 volume. I will be playing as many of the original recordings as I can


STL-346 - The Swing Era 1941-1942: Swing as a Way of Life - Billy May & His Orchestra/Glen Gray's Casa Loma Orchestra [1972] A String of Pearls/Don't Sit under the Apple Tree/Warm Valley/Swing Low, Sweet Chariot/Flying Home//Jersey Bounce/I Cried for You/Basic Boogie/Charleston Alley/Air Mail Special//9:20 Special/The Man I Love/Summit Ridge Drive/Aidos/Golden Wedding//Beyond the Blue Horizon/Chattanooga Choo Choo/Autumn Nocturne/Benny Glides Again//The Mole/A Smo-o-th One/Blue Flame/Well, Git It!/Perdido//Song of the Volga Boatman/Contrasts/Strictly Instrumental/Dancing in the Dark/American Patrol

For a complete listing of all the volumes in the Swing Era sets go to    http://www.bsnpubs.com/warner/time-life/04swing/04swing.html

No comments:

Post a Comment