Saturday, May 19, 2018

An Artie Shaw Birthday Salute

Artie Shaw was born on May 23, 1910. He was an American clarinetist, composer, bandleader, and actor. Also an author, Shaw wrote both fiction and non-fiction. Widely regarded as "one of jazz's finest clarinetists, Shaw led one of the United States' most popular big bands in the late 1930s through the early 1940s. As I do every year I would like to remember Artie on his birthday but instead of playing many of his hits I am going to be playing some of his recordings that feature the many different vocalists that sang with his band. Starting way back in 1936 with Peg La Centra and going to the mid 1940's we'll hear a lot of different singers.


When I was a senior in high school I started listening to some of my father's records. I played clarinet in the band so I listed to Pete Fountain. But I pulled out a Benny Goodman greatest hits album that my dad had and was hooked. When I started college I was still seeking out Goodman albums in the local record stores when I read about Artie Shaw. The first album of Artie's I bought was one called "This IS Artie Shaw" from RCA Bluebird. I loved it from the first listening on.  I was taking saxophone and clarinet lessons at the local community college. Since they didn't have a full time instructor for that they hired a local instructor who also owned a music store. He sold records in his store and the first time I went there I noticed a bargain bin and in it was a big band lover's jackpot. He had marked down a series called "The Complete" for $2.00 each. In it was the complete Benny Goodman and Artie Shaw for RCA records. I snatched those up and still have them 40 years later.


If you are interested in learning about the life of Artie Shaw, there is a wonderful biography about him by Tom Nolan called, "Three Chords for Beauty Sake". I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment